Wednesday 10 October 2012

Life drawing: Line and Tone

We used pencil this week, and as well as line, and started to use hatching to build up layers of tone. we also had some more difficult angles and poses. We started with quick 20 minute sketches, then moved on to longer drawings, so we could get the proportions and tone.

We only used hatching, not cross hatching, so that the lines all go in the same direction and eye won't see it as lots of small lines, but rather areas of dark and light. I am very pleased with the collarbone and shoulder area of this drawing because I think it shows the contours well, but I think I could improve by using even darker tones, to make it look less flat.

In the lying down pose I think my hatching works better because of the very dark parts, like the shadow on her tummy and the back of her thigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment