Wednesday 26 September 2012

Metalwork

In metalwork, we were testing out different processes to add textures and effects to sheet metal. First, I made a small wire flower and spot welded the centre. I then bent another piece of wire into a wave. I used these to press the pattern into a sheet of tin plated steel. I liked the impressions these made, and the metal stuck out on one side and was indented in on the other.




I then spot welded the wave onto the flower, and added leaves to create a whole flower. I liked this effect but I felt the wires were quite messy where they overlapped. I decided to put the flower through the metal roller to make it a more uniform width. I think this flower was very illustrative, and could be made into something such as a bookmark or a piece of jewellery. I did the same thing with a cat shape, and curved the tail around to make it more 3D.

   Next, I tried hammering a piece of wire, to flatten the end. This created a sort of tear-drop shape on the end of the wire. it also made the end shinier than the rest of the wire, as the hammer I used was very smooth and shiny and this transferred onto the wire.


I then used a hammer with a round end on a scrap piece of tin plated steel to add a texture. I think this looks like fish scales as the marks are round and overlapped. I like the texture this gives because it makes it almost glittery because of the way the light reflects in lots of directions.


   Next I put a piece of tin plate steel through the metal roller. I had it on a very thin setting, and this made it pleat and fold. Before I rolled it out, I drilled some holes in it, and these were elongated by the roller. I also hammered one end of my strip, which made small marks like dashes on one end of my strip. I think this made the whole strip look like a river.

1 comment: