Friday 15 February 2013

Ceramics: slabwork.

First, I made 6 squares of clay the same size, and used my collected objects to imprint patterns onto the surface. I tried to make each square different, as I wanted all the sides of my cube to be a surprise, which you had to ppick up and turn around to find all the patterns. I mitred all the sides at a 45 degree angle, so the joins were not visible on the outside.



I used slip to join the edges and make them look neat, and also put reinforcements on the inside of the cube to strengthen it.
I next rolled out some more clay and made cylinders, to put together to make a repeating pattern similar to how I made the triangle.
I put marbles into the bottom of the cylinders, to hopefully melt and create a decorative abstract piece in the bottom of each cylinder. I have used marbles because I have lots of marbles and would like to make something new out of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment