Saturday 30 March 2013

Ceramics: Glazing the patterned pieces

 This is the cabbage textured piece, with stripes of lilac under glaze with transparent glaze on top. Because the piece is so small, I was worried I had put the transparent shiny glaze on too thick, and if it is too thick, it can come out cloudy or opaque, which would obscure the stripes, and possibly the texture of the clay piece.
 For my bigger woven piece, I used ceramic pencil crayons to draw a pattern on some of the clay strips, the pattern taken from knitted stocking stitch. I then used royal blue under glaze and transparent glaze on top for the other strips, so it will hopefully look like shiny threads and knitted threads have been woven together
 For these very small ones, I didn't want to colour them particularly, but I wanted to use something to bring out the texture, so I used black copper oxide, then used a sponge to wipe the surface so the black was only in the indented parts.
 I did the same with this one, using a brown stain, wiped off the surface, to highlight the gaps between the mosaic tiles.
 This was my smaller woven piece, I have used royal blue under glaze and green stain for the different threads, then transparent glaze on top.

 I wanted to highlight the textile pattern on this piece, and I thought the detail could have been too easily obscured if I put a transparent glaze on it so I left it as a stain, wiped off the surface to create a contrast between the colours and the white clay.
 This was more compicated to glaze, and I had to buy a very small paintbrush to create the detail. I started with a white tin glaze, then painted on the green stain pieces. I couldn't find a glaze which was the right kind of orange, so decided to use a darker one, which will come out a darker colour than it is now.
I used the same colour for the middle of this piece, and painted the edges with the royal blue under glaze. I wanted these pieces to be quite vibrant, to possibly use these (or pieces made by a similar method) in jewellery.

No comments:

Post a Comment